Monday, September 11, 2006

School Situation update...

I guess the intimidation was feeling like I don't have enough knowledge on policy if they were to start throwing things back at us. But you will be happy to know that I put on my "big girl panties" love ya mom, and have already made several phone calls. The first call I made was to Kenya's principal. I did not reveal that I was the aunt but that I was a concerned parent of a child who attends in the district and I wanted to know the policy for keeping track of kids while school is in session. After I received the PTA's information I then was directed to the principal, who at first was a quick answer as Mindy had said he was to her. But once I started asking he started answering...if that makes sense. I am planning on calling several schools, PTA's, the school board and I was already planning on Media but am glad to hear that the idea is being backed up. So I first asked the principal what the policy was on keeping track of students and he said that each school does it their own way and each teacher is responsible for keeping track. Well then I asked how they keep track, and he said that each teacher does it differently. I then asked what the majority is and he said that he can't speak for the teachers. I asked about the buddy system and he said that it is used on field trips and such. I asked how they are tracked from one room in the school to the next. He said that they each do it differently(AGAIN NOTED) and that they are kept in lines. Frustrated I wasn't getting anywhere I then asked about how frequently bathrooms are checked. He stated that when a student goed to the bathroom they have a colored cone for what grade they are in and it is to be left outside the door to note a student is in there. I asked about Kindergartner's since their classroom's have bathrooms and he said the teachers check them frequently. Remember that the bathroom is where Kenya was left!!! I then said that I had been made aware of a situation where a student left school grounds and what policy is then. He then said that last week they had a situation where the student went to a neighbors yard, was found by a teacher, the parents were called and were notified that the next step would have been notifying the police. Well I will refresh your memory when I say that Mindy wasn't called, and Kenya was not found in a neighbors yard she was sitting in front of the school sobbing hysterically and then was noticed. That really upset Mindy especially when she heard that the principal actually took the time to talk to me and not her. Anyways he said in the 8 years he has been there that only 3 times has this happened. He also said in his principal evaluation by the school board last year he rated highest for student safety. I have left a vm with the PTA for that school, have left a voicemail for my school's principal and am getting ready to call the PTA and additional authorities, and even if I get an answer there are many many schools in this district and others and if it is a school by school policy who is to say the media shouldn't be contacted anyways??? That is a question I pose now.

4 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

He says that it has only happened 3 times. He was unaware of Kenya. I wonder how many other times it has happened that he was unaware of.

You should definately contact he media and if they don't want to cover it, send in an editorial!

Erica Hanks said...

What does her teacher say? I say the blames is her's first. At Kayden's school, they go everywhere with buddies. To the bathroom, office, whatever. She shouldn't have been alone, and it's up to the teacher to make sure she's where she's supposed to be. There should also be an Aide in the class to help out.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Tashina. If I was closer I would be right there with you! Please keep me updated.

Anonymous said...

Go to the media. The principal is trying to sugar coat the situation. He is making himself appear to look good in this situation by giving you his "really good" stats. Bull! If he and the teacher had no idea where Kenya was, and really don't seem to concerned about the entire situation, put the fire to them. Let them know that you aren't going to be satisfied with a pat on the head and a shooing out of the door. You want answers and you want changes in their attitudes towards the safety of the children under their jurisdiction. I have always believed that when something evil or wrong has occured that keeping it in the dark isn't going to change thing. Bringing a wrong into the light, lets everyone see just how ungly the problem really is.
It would appear to me, that the principal and the teacher want to keep this situation in the dark. I say, "Turn on the flood lights, baby!!!!"

mom