Friday, September 08, 2006
What would you do?
Mindy and I are looking for advice and guidance. This week there was an incident where Kenya was "lost" and no one even noticed that she was gone. She had gone into the classroom bathroom and when she came out no one was in there. Unknown to her the class had left to the computer lab without her. She was scared and figured she would go home. When she got home no one was there, Mindy had gone to grandma's house. She totally freaked out at this point and went back to the school. She was later found by a teacher walking out front where Kenya had been sobbing hysterically. Mindy wasn't notified by a teacher, she found out from Kenya a half hour after school had been out. She went straight to the school and found the teacher eating lunch and the teacher said she was aware of what had happened and had forgotten to call Mindy. The next day Mindy went to the principal and then received a "it's no big deal" "it's happened with another student before" 2 minute talk. Mindy was rushed out of his office and told everything was under control. He also told her that it was the students fault for leaving school. Then I have also been noticing over Sadie's Kindergarten and now first grade year, that no one has ever asked for ID or who I am when I check her out of school. I don't frequent the school often enough to be known. I just sign her name and the time of check out and tell the secretary that I am picking up Sadie Gillman from so and so's class, no questions asked Sadie is sent to the office. The first week of school a note was sent home saying that the school will call home or the parents at work if the student does'nt show up for school. Sadie walks to school with two other kids from our ward. What if that walk were interupted and Sadie never showed? I kept her home from school two days because of illness and I was never notified that she hadn't gotten there. Obviously I knew where she was but they didn't know that. Mindy and I would greatly appreciate some suggestions or comments on the matter. We believe we are going to take this to the school board because some hairs need to be raised...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh boy, don't get me started.
First I would contact your PTA President and get them involved. Next I would go to your School Superintendant and let him know how unconcerned your Principal was.
I would throw a major stink if I were the mom. She could have been hit by a car, could have been kidnapped, who knows what.
Don't take this lightly!
I agree with Linda. You need to take this further than the principal if he is unwilling to talk about it.
How is it that the teacher didn't notice that Kenya didn't make it back to class?? Or that other kids didn't?
I have never had to show ID at Kayden's school, but I'm there all the time. Last week, he missed a day because he was sick, and the school called me right away. We are supposed to call in if the child is not going to be there, but I had spaced it off.
Hmmm...I would have pitched a fit. Let us know what happens.
We are working on it. We are a bit intimidated but we are gaining courage and will get this noticed.
Tashina,
DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED!!!!! These are your children for crying out loud. You do what ever it takes to keep them safe. You just put on your "big girl panties" and get tough. If they get offended, oh well. They are the ones who have charge of your children while they are at school. They are being paid to keep your children safe. If they are not doing their duty, or don't care -- GET RID OF THEM. They have no business being in that position. I guarantee if something harmful would have happened to Kenya, there would be some serious butt kissing on their part. You hit them hard with this. Do not let this slide. You get on the phone today, you go to the school district and raise as much of a ruckus as you can. If they don't give you a satisfactory answer to this problem, then I would take it to the news people. Let them bring this terrible event to light so that other parents are aware of how lax the school, the teacher, the principle and the district in reguarding the safety of the children in their charge.
mom
Yes...I agree! Why should you be intimidated??? They should be shaking in their shorts!
If they don't shape up...call the media, then make us a video of your on news debut!
Don't let this drop!
Post a Comment