This is what happened and I will try not to make it tooo long but here goes: Hunter's entire life he has always "whimpier" when it comes to helping with chores and doing physical things. Brian and I figured he wouldn't be the big athlete, he loves sports but doesn't like to play them as much as watch them. He did good with tball this last summer but has never done well with long walks or extrenuous activity. I just figured he would grow into it. Every now and then he will complain of leg pain and I would attribute it to growing pains and treat it with motrin or tylenol. About 2 weeks ago he started complaining of really bad pain in his legs. I let it go for a few days but began watching closely when I noticed he didn't stop talking about it and it eventually made him cry every time he would walk or go up and down the stairs. I figured it was some severe form of growing pains or maybe problems with his arches in his feet. That is what the doctor told Kenya when she was having leg pains. So he has had a small cough and Sadie has been complaining of really bad earaches so I took them both in on Wednesday afternoon. Sadie is fine minus the sinus infection. Hunter just has a cough but that is pretty much normal for everyone this time of year. So I told the doctor about everything that was going on with Hunter and that he has always been weaker when it comes to carrying things or going long distances. I figured it was his mischeveous(sp?) way of getting out of chores since he is so overdramatic kinda like his mom:) The dr. had Hunter walk and run down the hall in the office and then brought him in and had him show him where is legs hurt. I was shocked to say the least when he told me that I needed to take him to have his blood drawn to test for Muscular Dystrophy. I don't think it really hit me until later that night what might be in store for us.So he was a trooper and Uncle Colton went with us for support (he and Hunter are quite close) and they told me that we should have the results by 3:30 hopefully. At 5:30 I received a phone call from the dr. He told me that 3 of the 4 tests had come back and he wanted to let me know that one of them startled him or so to say. One of the tests shows how much "CK" you have in your blood. Sorry I don't know the actual name for the chemical but it has to do with your muscle. A person's normal level would be anything from 20 to 200 Hunter was at 2,578 so 10 times the normal limit. This suggests that there is something wrong with his muscles. He said that there are 3 things that can cause elevated "CK" levels in your blood. 1) Very rarely when kids get viral infections such as a cold it can elevate their "CK" levels and it doesn't matter how significant the cold or virus is2) Breaking a bone or being pretty much body slammed by a football player or similar3) A muscular disease such as Muscular Dystrophy.He has ruled out the 2nd one and is pretty sure we can rule out the 1st one because of the physical history with his weakness and one very large indicator is of calf pain which is where he has been hurting so bad lately. The 4th test will not be done for 7 to 10 days. This tests for a muscle specific chemical in your blood called Aldalaise(sp?). If these are elevated then we will get a positive on the muscular dystroophy. The dr. also wants to have his "CK" levels checked again in a week to see what they are doing. We will get the results of the "CK" level quickly so we won't have to wait forever. It is more dominant in men and usually appears when they are between ages 2 to 8.
I haven't done the research yet but mom told me that there are 9 kinds and the dr. said as well that it can be a very mild case or a very severe case. Of course we would prefer the mild case but we will have to take what we are given. Worst case scenario he will be in a wheelchair by age 10 or 12 and they do not usually live passed their 20's. I have been trying very hard to think about other things and keep my mind busy but when I sit and think about the possibilities my eyes leak. Colton has sworn to make Hunter's life very active with motorized wheelchairs and hand throttled go carts if he will indeed have to deal with the worst case scenario.
I know this is probably going to be a long road ahead but I want you all to know that I love you and am so greatful for all of the love and support. Everything happens for a reason and although I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone I do have to look at the positive. For any of you that have had the chance to get to know Hunter you will know that he is a very awesome kid. He has one of the greatest sense of humors and is a very softhearted loving kid.
**tears** I know that it will just flat out suck as his mom if I have to send him Home early but I also know that he is sealed to us and that Heavenly Father must have a huge plan for him on the other side of the veil. He doesn't know anything that is really going on right now other than he will have to go get more blood drawn and that his muscles are probably sick. I pray that it is only a darn cold that is doing this but my gut tells me it isn't. As far as we know there is no cure. If you break down the word in medical terms dys- trophy, trophy means to degenerate or to loose strength or to fade away. Pretty much it will only get worse and not better. The only thing they suggest is making sure they stay as active as possible to keep their muscles strong. So that is pretty much all I know at this point. We will hopefully find out by thursday what the results of the last test are.
4 comments:
he has lots of people who love him and you are all in our prayers. Heavenly Father has great plans for him. Be Strong.
I love you HUNTER!
aunt katrina
mmmmmmmmmmmwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! (that was a big, fat juicy kiss from his auntie k)
tashina,
you are such a strong person! Our prayers will be with you and your sweet little boy!
Love you!! kodi
Thank you everyone for your love, support and prayers. The hardest part right now is not know what is really going to happen!
Post a Comment