Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Another adventure awaits us...

Brian was laid off in February and according to the Union and the non union electrical companies, there doesn't seem to be any work becoming available for at least another couple of months. He was laid off for 2 months last year. Two months is do-able, but we are working on 5 months of no decent income and things are getting super tight. The construction field is usually feast or famine, but it is becoming more regular and hard to live off of. My mom had suggested maybe Brian head back to school... again, and see if anything else seemed feasable for a second career. We couldn't think of anything that Brian would be happy with and be able to support us.
Most everyone knows that recently I started going back to school and I am working on getting my license as a Respiratory Therapist. As I have been working at the hospital I thought that once I am done receiving my CNA(only a couple of weeks left:), before I can get my RT, that I would take the EMT basic course, to have the extra knowledge. Then the thought hit me that maybe Brian would like to take the class with me just to see if he would enjoy it.
So we got to talking and one thing lead to another and as of now Brian is enrolled at UVU to start taking the courses to receive his license as a Paramedic/Firefighter. He is really excited, the firefighter bit made him nervous, but he is really anxious to get started in August.
He will be going to class 2 nights a week so that if work does become available then he can still support the family.

Because people will always be getting older, always getting hurt or sick, the medical field is always going to be around, no one will die without electricity(at least for the most part). So Brian will have to work 10/24 hr. shifts a month, and that will leave the remainder of the month free to do side jobs. He will be keeping his electrical license current and active, which he worked really hard for.
In the meantime, we are both going to start a rigorous workout routine, me for obvious reasons, and Brian because he will be starting the Firefighting Academy in January and needs to be in great shape.
The kids are really excited to have daddy as a firefighter and paramedic, I am super excited to be able to study our medical courses together, and to have him involved in the medical world which has always been a great passion of mine.

3 comments:

Ricky said...

That is awesome, Brian will make a great paramedic/firefighter

Erica Hanks said...

So exciting!

Domestic Goddess said...

That is really exciting. Isn't it great when inspiration hits like that.