Thursday, January 17, 2013

An obsession with Pinterest

I have become a Pinterest Addict.  However it has added bouts of happiness to our home.  There have been lovely meals that have never been tasted in our home, and new crafts and experiments.  We are trying to document on everything we are doing.  Sadie and I try to grab pictures before we are finished.  But we are not always great on documenting the process.  So here are a few.
This first one was not found on Pinterest by myself but my Sister in Law Sharree Jensen made one this last summer and it went for a pretty price at the family auction.  My encouragement for making this "Castle" was because McKadie kept creating castles with sheets and blankets wherever she could.  My OCD couldn't handle the constant chaos and Sadie was so frustrated because her room couldn't be kept clean.  So time to get down and dirty.

Here is what we used for supplies:
3 twin size white sheets (I had them on hand from my old photography props)
Craft glue
Multi-Colored Sequins
Silver Sequins
Fabric paint
Markers
Colored Pencils
Iron on Patterns
Twine
1 Large Hula Hoop
1 Small Hula Hoop
Velcro

We started by using some old iron on patterns from some old books that were given to me by grandmothers and aunts.  We specifically used Unicorns, Bears, and Sea Life.
We started by coloring the bears with markers, but they would blead through and we didn't have a wide enough variety to get the effect we were looking for.  Sadie, McKadie and myself took to this task.
I moved on to colored pencils at this point and only used a black marker for outlining and words.  Needless to say my arthritis was in full swing 3/4 of the way through the process.  I was tired of coloring the bears, they were very detailed.
So for the simpler patterns I used my fabric/puff paints.  I have a very large selection and have been needing to use them up before they dry out.  It gave me the variety and color spectrum I was looking for.
Once the paint was dry enough we started dotting the fabric with craft glue all over the place and with no organization started applying the sequins to the fabric.  It gave a very spectacular effect.  I should have taken pictures with each individual sheet but like I said I am not so great with documenting the full process.  Here is what I do have.
PhotoPhotoPhoto
Once all the decorating was dry I started putting it together.  I glued and pinned each seem together.  Originally I wanted the one that said "princess McKadie" in the middle but it ended up being on the end and it worked better that way.  So I would glue the seem and then pin it until it dried, which won't be for another day or so.  Then I took some strong twine and threaded it through the top of the sheets (I had to cut a slit where there were seams in order to thread it).  Then I tied it up tight leaving enough slack so that I could hang it as high or as low as I wanted.
I hadn't decided yet if I was putting it in the girls room above McKadie's bed or somewhere else.  In the end I decided to move a couple of chairs in my living room and give her a private little corner for her art and reading.
Next I put velcro on the hula hoops.  This was and still isn't completely figured out but I used the adhesive type.  I place the smaller of the hula hoops about 1 foot from the top to create a circus top effect. Next I did the same thing with the larger hoop and separated it by about 2 feet.

I overlapped the sheets just enough so that it would enclose completely or open large enough that she could lay in her "Castle" to watch tv.  She loves it and can't stay out of it, so I guess I did what I intended to.  I don't know if this is the best instructional but hopefully the pictures will help.


We put some of the left over fabric on the floor and added some throw pillows, a couple of her favorite dolls, her drawing table, a battery operated lamp, her favorite blanket and her art supplies.  It kept her entertained for hours.

MISSION CASTLE ACCOMPLISHED

1 comment:

tHEsIXpACK said...

super cute idea!